Wednesday, October 15, 2014

public approval and motivation

I've started posting photos on FetLife of rope designs that I'm self tying - things I've learned or copied from others. Because otherwise I'd be having sex, or sleeping, or watching TV with my love. Maybe even reading a book next to her. But she's not here, so instead of doing my homework I tie myself up and seek public approval. Every "love" on a photo is a little hit of dopamine, every friend request from a stranger an awkward seal of approval and value. I like the feeling of being recognized, the motivation to try and improve and continue to learn more about rope. But it also feels...awkward. Like I'm doing it just for the attention. I worry that it's actually kind of hurting my relationship, making my GF jealous because suddenly I'm receiving a lot of public approval and interest from folks in a domain that she also would like to be recognized in. She doesn't put up photos so people don't really get to see that side of her, but I still worry. And still put up the photos. Because dopamine.

No comments:

Post a Comment